MTN Group’s Mobile Money Application Interface (API) invites developers from various markets to participate in an Open API Hackathon, with the goal of developing a mobile application that uses MoMo APIs for use in their respective markets.
MTN Group Fintech’s second hackathon will take place in the following countries: eSwatini, Zambia, Congo Brazzaville, Rwanda, Uganda, Cameroon, Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Guinea Conakry.
Developers will compete to create an innovative application for the markets in which they are registered that can process financial transactions while also driving financial inclusion and literacy.
“MTN is committed to extending financial and digital inclusion across the continent as part of its strategy to build a pan-African Fintech platform that will power the digital economy and serve as a catalyst for social and economic growth in Africa,” said Serigne Dioum, MTN Group Chief Fintech Officer.
“Through our Open API Platform, we reach out to Africa’s resourceful talents and enable them to grow and create opportunities by leveraging our MoMo Platform.” “We have no doubt that by collaborating with African talents, we will expand the service offering available on MoMo,” he added.
About the challenge:
- The challenge runs from 18 July 2022 until 9 September 2022
- Developers will have 4 weeks to submit their idea of an innovative financial and transactional app that must include the usage of MTN Mobile Money APIs
- The developers are required to create a mobile application that uses MTN MoMo APIs; the mobile application needs to target consumers, merchants or businesses.
- The application must provide a practical and valuable solution that can be deployed in the market where the applicants have registered and can cover use cases beyond payment but must utilise MTN MoMo APIs.
- MTN in each participating country will select the top 12 applicants to progress to the prototyping phase
- The preselected applicants will be required to make a live demo of their application to the adjudicator
- Interested developers can find out more [here]
Finalists stand the chance to win up to USD 5000 in prize money in their respective countries.