
Nasir El-Rufai, the former governor of Kaduna State, appeared to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s Abuja offices on Monday to discuss continuing investigations into allegations of corruption during his administration.
Security personnel reportedly prevented members of his entourage from entering the EFCC building after his arrival, which caused tension at the door.
At the intersection leading to the commission, supporters of the former governor gathered, holding signs that read, “We stand with El-Rufai,” and “El-Rufai is a citizen, not a subject.” They also sang slogans. We support the law.
The supporters said in an internet video that the EFCC used tear gas to scatter them while reportedly permitting anti-El-Rufai demonstrators to gather close by.
The opposition group carried smaller posters that said, “Answer the charge, El-Rufai,” and banners that said, “El-Rufai cannot hide behind politics, let the law catch up.”
El-Rufai has previously taken a trip overseas on November 30, 2025. Sources claim that the EFCC sent a letter of invitation to his home in December, which stoked rumours that he might be arrested when he returned.
The panel had been informed by the former governor, a leader of the African Democratic Congress, that he would be at their office by Monday at 10 a.m.
Muyiwa Adekeye, the former governor’s media assistant, asserted that security personnel had earlier tried to detain El-Rufai upon his arrival at Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport on Thursday from Cairo, Egypt.
Malam Nasir El-Rufai landed on a flight from Cairo today, and security personnel made an effort to detain him. Adekeye wrote on X (previously Twitter) that Malam El-Rufai refused to follow them without an official invitation.
El-Rufai called the airport incident “executive overreach and a deliberate disregard for the rule of law” in an interview with BBC Hausa last Wednesday.
Noting that numerous of his former aides had already been arrested, he issued a warning that he may be arrested at any time.
According to reports, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission and the EFCC are still looking into El-Rufai’s term. His replacement, Uba Sani, started the investigation.
The former governor has denied any wrongdoing and said that the All Progressives Congress and the federal government were persecuting him.
El-Rufai, who claims he was never an ally of President Bola Tinubu, has also increased his criticism of the president and the ruling party.


