President Bola Tinubu has made a significant move by renaming several federal airports in the country, paying tribute to renowned individuals who have made significant contributions to the nation. The renaming of these airports was officially announced in a memo released by the Federal Ministry of Aviation on June 1, 2023, undersigned by Mrs. Joke Olatunji, representing the Director of Airport Operations.
The statement emphasized that the decision to rename the airports was part of the ongoing reforms in the aviation sector, aimed at recognizing and immortalizing notable figures in Nigeria’s history. This move is expected to foster a sense of national pride and celebrate the accomplishments of these individuals.
The following airports have been renamed to honour prominent Nigerians:
- Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu Airport – Akure Airport
- Oba Akenzua II Airport – Benin Airport
- Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi Airport – Dutse Airport
- Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo Airport – Ebonyi Airport
- Brigadier Zakari Maimalari Airport – Gombe Airport
- Samuel Ladoke Akintola Airport – Ibadan Airport
- Gen. Tunde Idiagbon Airport – Ilorin Airport
- Hassan Usman Katsina Airport – Kaduna Airport
- Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Airport – Maiduguri Airport
- Joseph Sarwuan Tarka Airport – Makurdi Airport
- Mallam Abubakar Imam Airport – Minna Airport
- Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio Airport – Nasarawa Airport
- Alfred Diete Spiff Airport – Osubi Airport
- Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo Airport – Port Harcourt Airport
- Lamido Aliyu Mustapha Airport – Yola Airport
By renaming these airports after notable Nigerians, President Tinubu aims to acknowledge their remarkable contributions to the nation’s development and to preserve their legacies for future generations.
The decision has received mixed reactions from the public, with some expressing gratitude for the recognition bestowed upon these eminent individuals, while others have raised concerns about the potential costs associated with changing the airport names.
Nevertheless, this gesture serves as a reminder of the importance of honoring the nation’s history and the accomplishments of its distinguished citizens. The renamed airports will serve as lasting memorials to these notable figures, inspiring generations to come and instilling a sense of pride in their contributions to Nigeria’s progress.
The Federal Ministry of Aviation, in collaboration with relevant stakeholders, will ensure the seamless implementation of these changes across all airports. Efforts will be made to update signage, documentation, and other pertinent materials to reflect the new names accurately.
The renaming of these airports stands as a testament to President Tinubu’s commitment to preserving Nigeria’s rich heritage and celebrating the remarkable achievements of its influential individuals.